A project of the Mason Pipeline Committee (MPC), Mason, NH.
Kinder Morgan (KM), a Texas-based pipeline company, proposes building a 420-mile natural gas pipeline (the Northeast Energy Direct pipeline, or “NED”) from Wright, NY to Dracut, MA. The Mason Pipeline Committee (MPC), a group of concerned citizens in Mason, NH, is actively opposing the project together with numerous other groups and towns in states along the route.
To help promote our point-of-view, MPC is sponsoring a contest for short videos (two minutes or less) on one or more of these topics:
- Need: New England’s energy needs can be met without building this project.
- Property rights: The project will use eminent domain to take property rights from citizens and give those rights to a private corporation for a profit-making venture.
- Environmental damage: The project will cause extensive and lasting damage to the natural environment along its entire route.
- Exporting America’s resources: The gas transported through the pipe will be primarily for export to the benefit of Kinder Morgan, not for the benefit of Americans.
- Cost to citizens: The pipeline will ultimately cause energy prices to rise in the Northeast and could be funded in part by a tax levied on electric ratepayers.
- Health and Safety: Concern is growing worldwide about the impact of fracking on human health and safety. In addition to the problems caused by fracking itself, transporting the gas involves inherent risk to human wellbeing, from chronic health problems near compressor stations to catastrophic loss caused by pipeline failures and explosions.
You’ll be competing for these cash prizes:
- One first-place prize of $3,000
- Two second-place prizes of $2,000 each
- Three third-place prizes of $1,000 each
Prizes for the best videos will be awarded based on
- visual and emotional impact
- adherence to the theme “The NED pipeline is the worst choice for New England”
For more information, see the official rules.
How to Enter
- Create a digital video no longer than two minutes about one or more of our topics. Be creative! Make a point.
- Put a copy of your video someplace on the Internet where we can get to it. We suggest a site commonly used for video sharing such as Vimeo or YouTube. File-sharing sites like DropBox will work, too. (Sorry, we don’t have sufficient space to upload your videos directly to us.)
- Submit the entry form below. Be sure to include a link (URL) to your video! And please supply at least two forms of contact (so we have an alternate should one method fail for some reason).
For complete details about video content and format, see the official rules.
Please supply at least two methods of contact (mailing address, telephone number, or email address). Don’t forget to include a link to your video!
[contact-form-7 id=”5220″ title=”MPC Video Contest Submission”]